- DGGS 89 (2016)
Dartford Grammar School for Girls recognises the importance of careers education and guidance to prepare students for the opportunities, challenges and responsibilities of life, during which they must be able to respond to the changing demands of a technological age, adapt to differing modes of employment, develop life long learning resources, and balance work and leisure.
Dartford Grammar School for Girls is committed to enabling students to understand the working environment in which they will eventually take their part. We recognise that it is important for students to identify their own strengths and aptitudes. Working with students, parents and school staff we aim to raise student aspirations to ensure they plan to achieve, and attain, full learning and career potential. Independent, impartial careers education guidance is delivered in-school by CXK Ltd, Kent County Council’s preferred provider of careers guidance, and co-ordinated by a dedicated member of Dartford Grammar School for Girls staff, Ms Carver. Students receive unbiased careers information, impartial guidance and a curriculum relevant to the world of work. In addition, the school encourages and supports appropriate work experience opportunities and placements, as well as providing information and support to students making applications for employment and further and higher education. The school’s Careers and Higher Education Library is open to students when the school is open and on results days. Ms Carver is available to students during term time, Monday to Thursday from 8:30am until 3.30pm. Appointments can be made via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our careers programme builds from year to year as students move through the school. Examples of the activities carried out with students include:
- Year 7 – research careers as part of their PSHE programme
- Year 8 - team building, decision making and skills evaluation and a Curriculum Information Evening with a subject fair
- Year 9 – subject-specific careers information
- Year 10 – Preparation for work experience and the opportunity to take the Morrisby Tests
- Year 11 - impartial group careers interviews and attend a work-skills events
- Year 12 - careers induction for new entrants, Higher Education institution visit, Higher Education Event, UCAS convention attendance, personal statement support and impartial guidance interviews
- Year 13 – Careers and Higher Education sessions, DGGS Alumni event, UCAS application support, tracking and decision-making advice and interview opportunities
If you have any questions relating to Careers Information and Advice and/or Higher Education support at Dartford Grammar School for Girls, we would be pleased to hear from you.
Ms T Carver
UCAS Transition / Careers Information & Advice Manager